CRITERIA FOR SELECTION FOR WORLD CONGRESS
Approved 1990, Amended 1997, 2002, 2011, 2014
1. The proposal for the IUPESM 2021 World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, herein referred to as the World Congress (or WC), shall include a preliminary budget, an estimate of delegate numbers with geographic distribution and a description of the meeting facilities.
2. The proposal shall include a list of comparable meetings that have used the facilities in the previous 2 years. The site must be accessible by air travel at reasonable prices during the proposed time period of the WC, which should be well clear of overlapping conferences. Specifically, the scheduling of the World Congress should avoid conflicting with the IEEE EMBS or BMES Conference usually held in the fall. Consideration for the dates of the World Conference should be in late May through late August.
3. The Congress Organising Committee (COC) shall be established comprising the Congress Presidents (Chairs), Officers of the hosting organizations and of the IUPESM, IOMP & IFMBE. The COC’s Finance Committee should include the Treasurers of IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP. The COC reports on a regular basis to the IUPESM Congress Coordinating Committee (CCC).
4. The COC shall endeavour to observe the tenets of the International Council for Science (ICSU) on the free movement of participants from all nations and to arrange the granting of visas to bona fide participants who wish to participate.
5. Applicants shall be prepared to post their approved completed application material, including the questionnaire response, on the IUPESM website no later than 3 months prior to the commencement date of the IUPESM 2015 World Congress in Toronto or the date specified in the Call for Proposals.
6. English is the official language of the World Congress. Host organisations must be capable of producing the necessary advertising and materials for the World Congress and have staff able to respond to correspondence in this language.
7. On site staff must be able to provide services in English. However, it is helpful if they can provide some services in other languages of the affiliates.
8. The IUPESM expects that the host organisations have the commitment of other national organisations in its region with a reasonable involvement on their part.
9. The meeting should include invited and peer-reviewed accepted papers in parallel sessions; symposia; workshops; plenary sessions; scientific and commercial exhibits; social functions and a Companion Programme.
10. The COC should make provision for the presentation of IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP Awardees during the Opening Ceremony. The Award recipients shall be offered the opportunity to give a 30-minute Public-invited Talk highlighting their award winning research.
11. Special sessions must be provided for the IUPESM Young Investigator’s Research Symposium and other IUPESM, IOMP and IFMBE initiates (either or both oral papers and posters presentation).
12. The program must provide for a clear time period for General Assemblies and Council Meetings of the IFMBE, IOMP and the IUPESM.
a. General Assembly. The General Assemblies shall be scheduled to minimize conflict with scientific sessions. Meeting rooms to accommodate at least 250 attendees shall be provided for the General Assemblies of the IFMBE and IOMP and 350 for the IUPESM General Assembly meeting. The General Assemblies of the IFMBE and IOMP shall be scheduled to run simultaneously for up to 90 minutes. The IUPESM General Assembly shall be scheduled to follow the IFMBE and IOMP Assemblies following a short break and shall be scheduled for up to 90 minutes.
b. Councils. Each organization has two Council meetings during the World Congress. Rooms for the Council meetings shall be of sufficient size to accommodate at least 30 participants for IFMBE and 70 participants for IOMP. Rooms shall have seating around a preferred U-shaped table arrangement and shall be equipped with an overhead projector. The first series of Council meetings takes place just prior to the beginning of the Congress and the second meeting of each organization on the last day of the Congress. Specific arrangements for the times of Council meetings shall be coordinated well ahead of time with the Secretary General of each organization.
13. The Presidents of IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP shall be invited to address the opening and closing ceremonies. The organizers of the next World Congress will be invited to make a presentation of their upcoming World Congress at the closing ceremonies.
14. Provisions must be made for general services to the delegates, e.g., money exchange, travel agent, message centre, facsimile, photocopy, e-mail, major internet access and telephone.
15. Accommodation should be available in medium and lower priced hotels and in low cost dormitory style for the attendees. This should be reasonably close to the meeting facility.
16. The COC shall provide free registrations and accommodation to the IUPESM, IOMP and IFMBE award winners.
17. The COC shall provide complimentary accommodations for the Presidents and the Secretary Generals of the IUPESM, the IFMBE and the IOMP as well as the IUPESM Secretary for the entire course of any site inspection meeting and during the WC. This commitment should encompass 78 room nights to support the responsibilities of these officials.
18. Office space shall be provided for the IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP and access to word processing computer, e-mail, telephone, facsimile, internet access and photocopying services to support their meetings.
19. Adequate meeting space in close proximity to the Congress venue shall be provided for the Council, Divisional and Committee meetings of the IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP.
20. A booth shall be provided free of charge to the IUPESM for display of IUPESM, IOMP and IFMBE materials. The size of the booth shall be no less than 200 sq. ft.
21. A meeting room to accommodate at least 100 attendees shall be provided for the presentation of applications to host the 2021 World Congress. This session must precede the IFMBE General Assembly and the IOMP Council Meeting. The time for the meeting shall be arranged in co-ordination with the CCC of the IUPESM.
22. World Congress policy requires a return of US$90,000 for equal division between IFMBE, IOMP and IUPESM to reimburse these Organisations for expenses related to the execution of the Congress (e.g., advertising, corporate sponsor recruitment, interest on seed money and Congress promotion worldwide). In addition, the IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP shall equally share one-third of profits after all accounts have been paid. The proposed budget must include provision for the US$90,000 IFMBE/IOMP expense disbursement. The proposal must address how the payment of this US$90,000 shall be ensured. The IFMBE, IOMP and the IUPESM accept no financial responsibility should a deficit is incurred at the Congress. However, in this case the payment to these organisations would reduce to $45,000. No financial provision should be made in the budget for organising parties.
23. The COC shall provide reduced registration fees to Honorary Life Members, retirees, Group 3 developing country delegates and student members of the IFMBE and the IOMP.
24. The COC shall repay all loans advanced by IFMBE and IOMP no later than 3 months after completion of the Congress.
25. The official journals of IFMBE and IOMP may negotiate through the COC for first choice on publication of selected full papers of the Congress.
26. A Digest of abstracts must be published and carry an ISBN number. The format, as outlined by the IUPESM Congress Coordinating Committee shall be used. The cover design shall carry the logo and name of the three sponsoring organisations: IUPESM, IFMBE and IOMP.
27. Within 12 months of the completion of the Congress, the COC shall submit a completed World Congress Report Form to the CCC. This must include an Audited Financial Report, which must be reviewed and approved by the CCC before any monies can be distributed.
28. The World Congress application form must be completed and accompanied by the signed statement of intent of the COC.
The IFMBE and IOMP will separately vote for their preferred bid for WC2021. These results will then be combined to determine the successful bid.
The successful applicant will negotiate and sign the contract for the 2021 World Congress at the Toronto World Congress in 2015 or at a future date not to exceed a period of 6 months following the World Congress.